18th September (5th September O.S.):
- BERTIN, a monk at Luxeuil in Burgundy, who served as an assistant to St. Omer (9th September), Bishop of Thérouanne, and later as Abbot of Sithin (afterwards renamed St. Bertin). Under his direction the monastery prospered, he founded many new monasteries as well. St. Bertin reposed circa A.D. 709.
- GENEBALD OF LAON, first Bishop of Laon, and a relative of St. Remigius of Rheims (1st October). According to legend he is said to have performed seven years of continous penance for an unnamed sin he had committed. St. Genebald reposed circa A.D. 555.
- HERCULANUS, a martyr in Porto near Rome, most likely under Marcus Aurelius, circa A.D. 180.
- OBDULIA, (Date Unknown), a holy virgin whose relics are enshrined at Toledo in Spain, where she is venerated, no further details of her life are extant.
- QUINTIUS, ARCONTIUS AND DONATUS, (Date Unknown), martyrs venerated in Capua and elsewhere in the south of Italy, no further details of their lives are extant.
- VICTORINUS, a Bishop of Como known for his fervent opposition to Arianism. He reposed A.D. 644.
* - Prior to the Schism the Patriarchate of Rome was Orthodox and fully in communion with the Orthodox Church. As Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco +1966 said "The West was Orthodox for a thousand years, and her venerable Liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
Available in paperback and for Kindle on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk
Search by Name or Date