4th January (22nd December O.S.):
- AMASWINTHUS, a monk and abbot for forty-two years at a monastery in Silva de Málaga. He reposed in 982.
- DEMETRIUS, HONORATUS AND FLORUS, martyrs in Ostia.
- FLAVIAN, an ex-prefect of Rome, who was branded on the forehead as a slave and exiled to the village of Acquapendente in Tuscany by Julian the Apostate. He reposed there in 362 while in prayer.
- HUNGER, the Bishop of Utrecht in Holland from 856. During the Norman invasion he fled to Prüm where he died in 866.
- MARTYRS OF ROME, a group of thirty martyrs who suffered in Rome under Diocletian and were buried on the Via Lavicana circa 303.
* - Prior to the Schism the Patriarchate of Rome was Orthodox and fully in communion with the Orthodox Church. As Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco +1966 said "The West was Orthodox for a thousand years, and her venerable Liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."